Friday, November 12, 2010

11/9/10: A bright green plastic water bottle...

...Edwin Newman's Strictly Speaking, a box of foam hair rollers.

When I was 15, I realized that I was only willing to go so far for fashion and beauty.  I lived with the Pitsker family the last four months of my sophomore year of high school, and Peter, who was a senior, had a lovely girlfriend, Carol.  Carol was petite, had creamy skin, and straight ash blond hair that moved in a watery way.  I washed my hair every morning and, when possible, used one of the blow driers in the house.  I had perfectly decent hair, not terrible, but nothing amazing either. 

I once asked Carol if she did anything special to get her hair to fall in such a cascade.  She said she did.  Every morning, she woke up at 5:30, plugged in a set of hot rollers and washed her hair while they heated up.  She then mostly dried her hair, then put in the hot rollers.  Then apparently she sat for up to an hour as the rollers did whatever they needed to to get the cascade effect

Carol had lost me at the "I wake up at 5:30" part.  There was no way I was waking up at 5:30, no matter how fabulous it would make my hair look.  Looking good is all well and good.  But getting enough sleeping is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment