Sunday, November 28, 2010

11/25/10: Black to-the-knee women's boots...

...flimsy pink women's tank top, another tank top, filmy green baby doll nightgown, filmy blue baby doll nightgown.

K--- snagged the boots and looks rather swashbuckling in them.  I like that she is discovering boots.  I have already mentioned how transforming boots have been in my life, how boots with the right amount of heft in the sole have enabled me to walk with confidence - or even cockiness - at times and that that has felt good.  It is the sort of experience I wish for my children.

It is still dark out this morning.  It has been bitterly cold.  The kind of cold that makes me think of when I lived in Sisters.  There were two-week-long stretches where it didn't get above 0.  I once forgot about not setting my emergency brake in weather like that and set it just long enough to go into the post office to check for mail.  When I came out, it had frozen that way. 

I loved living in Sisters.  At those kind of temperatures in the high desert, snow was around but it didn't stick especially.  Wind would pick up the snow and swirl it in small white twisters.  The land always looked as if a light dusting of snow had just fallen, even if it had been days or weeks since that had happened.  It was the sort of place where the Native American prayer came spontaneously to mind:

In beauty I walk.
With beauty before me, I walk.
With beauty behind me, I walk.
With beauty below me, I walk.
With beauty above me, I walk.
With beauty all around me, I walk.
It is finished in beauty,
It is finished in beauty,
It is finished in beauty,
It is finished in beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment