Friday, November 12, 2010

11/2/10: A long strand of metallic blue Mardi Gras beads...

...a small houseplant in a blue ceramic planter, four books of the Jacqueline Susann ilk, a paper sack full of chewy dog or cat toys, a portable sandwich griller.
 
The sack full of animal toys makes me think of the Steve Martin sketch that has stood the test of time - the one where he talks about how his cat has been staying up watching late-night TV and ordering mountains of cat toys: "Hundreds of dollars worth!  And I can't return them because they have spit all over them..."

I am of mixed minds about the sandwich griller.  On the one hand, it's the sort of thing I'd have to find more surface area for - something that is in short supply in our household.  On the other hand, there is something spiffy about specialized kitchen items.  I remember when my friend, Chris, got the Cadillac of nutmeg graters for his birthday.  We spent many moments cooing about its perfection and specificity.  First, it was smallish and curved in a particular way so as to make it less likely that the person doing the grating would grate their knuckles in addition to the nutmeg.  Secondly, it was fitted into a container with a shaker top, the better to catch the grated nutmeg and shake it into your warm milk.  It was the first time I'd seen what a whole nutmeg looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment