Sunday, October 10, 2010

9/22/10: A rust-colored hooded sweatshirt...

...a bag of nice socks, many of which are beautiful woolen socks that clearly had an encounter with a hot drier, several rayon men's shirts, one a brilliant yellow with a red sunburst on the back, men's hemp drawstring pants.  Really, too many articles of clothing to name, all of which appeared today in neat piles and a couple sacks.  I believe our tenants - who just got married Saturday and are moving out at the end of the month - are responsible for this bounty.  Moves are often good for that: taking the opportunity to lighten the load.

Since our niece, S-----, moved in with us this summer, I pulled what I felt were my essential clothes out of the closet in the room she now occupies and have them hanging with me where I am.  I have not gone into her room to get further clothing more than twice, which suggests to me that what is left in that closet is unnecessary.  It feels simpler, though I am not unaware that I may be able to live with this smaller batch of clothing precisely because there are more outfits ready at hand should I need them.  

I am fascinated with what the internal challenges are for those of us who have so much.  I know I have pondered this here before, but when there is no one here to make us live more simply, and yet we value that, how do we learn to say no to ourselves?  

No comments:

Post a Comment