Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/09/10: A small, long-sleeved blue women's shirt...

...a salmon-colored women's tank top, a very large green men's golf shirt, a handful of Concord grapes.

A few days back, three smallish silver-plated dishes with lids appeared - the sort that come out for black olives and cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving tables.  Shortly thereafter, all but one disappeared, though the lid went missing for the one that remained.  Yesterday morning, there were the grapes.  My brain does not generally expect food to appear on the Bench (though it does occasionally), and so my mind kept trying to make the grapes into something else: large marbles, weird eyeball gag gifts.  Finally, I realized what they were.

Food on the Bench is a tricky thing.  Last week, a bag of bagels appeared, as did an opened and partially used gallon of water.  I like that people want to feed others.  As I've said, we have our share of neighborhood living-on-the-edge folk who likely don't get enough to eat.  It seems to me that, these days, only the most desperate would take a risk on food found on the Bench, though.  I am not conversant in that kind of hunger, where I am driven to consume something of unknown origin, perhaps wondering if it will make me sick, all the while eating it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment