Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/04/10: One Dell computer monitor..

...with a note attached that says, "I may not work, but take me and make art out of me."

Hmm. I want to say - without resentment - that this is someone's trash dressed up as a silk purse.  Or maybe they were hopeful, "This is broken but surely this expensive thing that uses enormous resources could still be used for something."  That is our dilemma these days, isn't it - because we make too many disposable things that have nowhere to be disposed of?  Still, I'm pretty sure I don't want art to be what happens with things that we can't figure out what else to do with.  Badly put, but you get my meaning.  

If I take pictures of the Free Bench, does that make it art?  
Do I first have to arrange the offerings to make it art?  
Is that what I am doing here: arranging the offerings of the Free Bench?  
Is it only art if I have an MFA?  
Is art what something needs to be to be readable, to be read?

Dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment