Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/07/10: More large pants keep showing up...

...in one's and two's.  Some of them are quite nice: tweedy.  My friend, Tom W., thought the initial appearance of many large pants last week suggested a death.  Which actually I had thought of, too.  But I'd spent the day before talking to a young woman whose husband had died of leukemia two weeks earlier about how she thought she should give his clothes away but couldn't quite bring herself to do it.  So I didn't write about the death explanation for the pants.  I think I was feeling tired of death.

What a privilege: to be tired of death, and so able to choose to set thought of it aside for awhile.

Tom was right.  That appearance of a pile of clothes at once could be due to a death.  So how to explain this slow trickle?  My earlier idea - weight loss - doesn't expalin the slow trickle very well either.  Clothing can be so imbued with who we are.  How would it come about that we would discard them, streadily over time?

K--- and S----- are in the living room listening to Joan Jett's version of the Doors' "Love Me Two Times."  G---- and L---- are doing the dishes together, listening to David Bowie's "Space Oddity."  L---- just asked, "Who's Judy Garland?"  I am between it all, hearing both songs, my brain tuning in to one and then the other.  This is a privilege, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment