Tuesday, September 14, 2010

9/8/10 - A navy blue child's warm jacket...

...a gray adult-sized fleece jacket, a denim shirt, only a few fabric scraps left from the bags of fabric, including an Indian print reminiscent of the sort college friends hung on their ceilings to break up the glare of the dorm lights.

Indian gauze is one of the things I am most grateful to the 70's for.  I remember peasant blouses made of Indian gauze - a cantaloupe-colored one in particular.  I remember a shirt of lime-green Indian gauze that my mom sewed for me.  It had sleeves that widened like a honeysuckle flower and came to a "v" above my wrists.  Shopping for clothes for my 1st year of college, I found an Indian gauze shirt with the thinnest stripes of various shades of blue, buttoned with tiny white buttons at the wrist with sleeves nearly Shakespearean in their billowiness.

Other things I am grateful to the 70's for: the Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Monty Python's Flying Circus, getting my own room, being old enough to take jewelry-making and pottery in school, getting my driver's license.

No comments:

Post a Comment