Monday, September 6, 2010

9/6/10 - 2 cotton print blouses...

...2 grocery bags full of fabric scraps, a pair of women's boots, 2 pairs of women's shoes, a black velvet capelet.

Let me help with that last word: cape-let, as in a short cape.  Who owns a capelet these days?  It is a little absurd, and yet also compelling and sumptuous.  This capelet puts me in mind of Audrey Hepburn and makes me wish I had somewhere to wear a velvet capelet - except those would be the sorts of events I don't really want to go to. 

Which is what's wonderful about Portland.  Someone can own a velvet capelet in Portland and not have to wait for an Audrey Hepburn-like formal occasion to wear it to.  Any occasion in Portland is an occasion to wear a velvet capelet if one is so moved.  I have seen women dressed as if it's the 1950's and they're going to church (complete with white kid gloves and a little purse) - only they're just biking to the park to meet some friends.  (For biking, I myself favor something I can sweat on with impunity.)  I love it about this place that if someone is biking down the street and they want to do so in pumps and a dress with a crinoline under-skirt, they need no more excuse than that desire.

How would we dress if we were simply inspired by what we found within ourselves?  G---- goes to science fiction conventions, which are a study of what happens when people get in touch with that sort of inner inspiration: people dress like elven princesses (think Titania), like blacksmiths and barmaids, like medieval warriors, like goddesses. 

If you want to tell me what you would dress as if you only had yourself to please, you can respond on my blog.  Just go to http://benchmuse.blogspot.com.  Look for entry Day 31: 9/6/10.  At the bottom of the entry, there is something that says how many comments have been made.  Click on it and you can make your comment.  The blog is still under construction, but from now on I will also post my Musings there.  (Thanks again, Jeremy.)

1 comment:

  1. I would wear big chunky boots with a short dress and gobs of jewelry. Some days I do, but rarely, given the weather where I live (I don't like tights).

    ReplyDelete